Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: "Kevin \"Yeaux\" Dupuy" <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 08:42:12 -0500
Sent from Kevin Yeaux's mobile device.

On Aug 4, 2009, at 7:16 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1. Both GNOME and KDE are first class desktops in openSUSE: neither is
technically superior to the other. openSUSE should be known as the
distribution with the best GNOME desktop and the best KDE desktop!

2. We make it easy to choose between these two desktops during
installation, install both of them - or install others as well.

3. On the relevant screen during installation the most popular desktop
is preselected, the desktops are listed in alphabetical order.

The problem with this proposal is that it still means the Project is giving a user an opinion - meaning it's not a fair selection. To use my political analogy again, it wouldn't be a fair election if the popular candidate were preselected on the ballot, would it? If we intend to be fair and give both KDE and GNOME equal recongition, this is NOT the way to go.
--
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy
openSUSE Project Member