  • From: "Kevin \"Yeaux\" Dupuy" <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 08:19:09 -0500
Sent from Kevin Yeaux's mobile device.

On Aug 4, 2009, at 5:58 AM, Druid <marcio.ferreira@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In a moment of Opensuse history where Gnome was abandoned in Opensuse
we were practically forced to have gnome, and the Gnome developers
wouldnt even fix the bugs in Opensuse (and this would cause problems
even for non Gnome users using GTK apps).

I've only been involved with the community since 2007, but I've been a SUSE user since 2003, and we have NEVER been forced to use GNOME, ever. In fact, it wasn't even an option until 10.0 or 10.1 (without digging around in the Software Selection options)

And to complete that, Novell
announced the drop of KDE from enterprise products and "change of
focus" to gnome.

OK, but that's the enterprise software. That's completely different from what we do here.

Sum that up to the fact that SUSE has been always a
KDE distro (no matter how much the Novel "we are neutral propaganda"
bullshit says, because of the ex-Ximian gnome fanboys in Novell), and
you will see why KDE today is second class today.

This really gets me angry. Please tell us, in what way is KDE a second- class citizen? How? We have two full supported desktops, what you want to do is make GNOME a REAL second-class citizen.

Opensuse needs a default select, its absolutely clear that, and the
default has to be KDE, and there is absolutely no sense to be any
other.

As usual, the Gnome people are trying to twist the facts so they look
like the abused minority...

This is just an example of what the GNOME community lives with in
openSUSE, so we do have a thick skin. But it's still harming the
community when you say this; and I'm sure we lost people because of
this.

I am sure we lose users when we dont have a default, and we did when
Novell annouced to drop KDE (even if we numerous KDE developers on
board),

That was for enterprise software only, not the consumer product we make here!
--
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy
openSUSE Project Member