Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Matt Gray <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 14:50:56 +0100
Martin Schlander wrote:
Tirsdag den 4. august 2009 14:16:02 skrev Andreas Jaeger:

Desktop Policy

0. The following text uses GNOME and KDE in alphabetical order. These
rules apply to development of openSUSE only, not for any other
Novell products.

1. Both GNOME and KDE are first class desktops in openSUSE: neither is
technically superior to the other. openSUSE should be known as the
distribution with the best GNOME desktop and the best KDE desktop!

2. We make it easy to choose between these two desktops during
installation, install both of them - or install others as well.

3. On the relevant screen during installation the most popular desktop
is preselected, the desktops are listed in alphabetical order.

4. This screen will explain that both GNOME and KDE are first class
desktops and the default is based on popularity.

5. Let's sit together at the openSUSE conference and decide what both
GNOME and KDE beeing first-class desktops signifies and how all
desktop development teams can work together.

Looks pretty good to me. Have two comments.

* I think that the most popular desktop should also be listed first. Or we
risk continuing to send a mixed and confusing message to new users and other
"outsiders".

* What would the text in the desktop selection screen say? A summary of the
above?
"I think that the most popular desktop should also be listed first. Or
we risk continuing to send a mixed and confusing message to new users"

+1