  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 13:12:32 +0200
Tirsdag den 4. august 2009 11:36:01 skrev Vincent Untz:
Le mardi 04 août 2009, à 10:20 +0200, Martin Schlander a écrit :
And let me add, you do not just select the software to install - you also
select what level of community support you're going to have available to
you - in terms of online help, packages, howtos etc.

I'm sorry, I tried really hard not to reply, but I'm tired of seeing
statements like this one. Here, you're implying that GNOME is not well
supported (or at least, not as well as KDE from a few orders of
magnitude), and really, you're hurting feelings here. Hopefully, this
was not your intention and you'll be more careful in the future.

I certainly don't intend to question the effort, dedication or talent of GNOME
guys - be that employees or volunteers.

I'm not talking about the quality of GNOME in the distro itself either.

It's a sheer matter of numbers. I simply claim that KDE users greatly
outnumbering GNOME users (for experienced, long-time SUSE power users and
enthusiasts this might be even more true btw.) will likely affect the overall
experience of a new user using our distro.

I think it'd be strange if it wasn't so, and I don't think GNOME guys should
take offense to such a statement. If I was giving advise to a new user of
Fedora or *ubuntu, I'd also recommend to consider the "community support", as
an important factor when deciding which desktop environment to use. Being a
minority usually complicates things a bit, that's all.