  • From: "Kevin \"Yeaux\" Dupuy" <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 19:38:12 -0500
Sent from Kevin Yeaux's mobile device.

On Aug 3, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
So here's a suggestion

1) Keep the current selection page

Sounds good...

2) KDE first and preselected followed by GNOME and others

...except for this. KDE can be first, I don't care about that. Personally, I'd rather they be side by side with helpful text and a quick graphical tour of each desktop (which is something I'm actually gonna start working on), which would end the 'oh no the other desktop is on top!' nonsense.

But preselecting a desktop makes it seem as though openSUSE is pre- selecting a desktop, in which case if we're gonna do that, we might as well just say that KDE's the default and hide GNOME, as they do in SLED (just in reverse). Note: I'm NOT advocating that AT ALL, just pointing this out.

The best solution is to provide more helpful info to help new users make a decision, which leads into another project I was going to start after I got back from my trip (which is why I'm using my phone to write these, this whole discussion started after I left for a vacation to Florida).

3) KDE will not push at a later date for removing the option for GNOME or any
other environment

Well this is good, though you'd think we wouldn't have to worry about the KDE team pushing for something like that, as that decision would be made by the project as a whole...
--
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy
Sending email from a phone with sand in it.