  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 18:53:12 -0500
On Sunday 02 August 2009 11:16:00 pm Jim Henderson wrote:

Unless your proposal is to alternate the default selection with each
release - odd releases get GNOME as the default, even get KDE as the
default. That would set 11.2 with a default selection of KDE and 11.3
with a default selection of GNOME. That might work.

That is exactly what I meant.

But I do think the installer should make it clear that both can be
installed at the same time and provide that option,

Sure.
I've got chance to explain to few new users on IRC #suse channel that they can
have both at the same time. IMHO, having radio buttons that allow only one
choice is kind of counter productive in distro as openSUSE. It sends wrong
message to the new users.

Much better would be to have check boxes, that imply possibility of multiple
choices.

While one can run both at the same time, in 2 Xorg sessions, installer is
asking to select only one. Why? To speed up installation? All, we have to do
is put sentence on that page that tells that more desktops (software) you
select, installation will last longer.

and certainly let the
person doing the installation override any default set

That is requirement, for fairness to function.
I really don't want to do another installation right after one is finished,
which is not that bad, and removal of components that I don't use, which is
currently a lot of manual work.

(if it's
absolutely necessary that one be set, still not convinced that one
needs to be set as the default).

It has to be.

Not using any default is not helping new users at all, as it pushes our
inability to make decision in this simple matter to the user.

It belongs to the user, though. Providing the user with the information
to make an informed decision (such as the liveCDs) is the right thing to
do IMO.

Sincerely, DE is just another piece of software, and due to its size, requires
serious introduction. Expecting user to read lengthy written introduction,
when majority don't want to read manuals, is like expecting Godota :)

Though, having a bit more sophisticated CD, that can be loaded in RAM, can be
right thing. Today 2 GB RAM is very standard configuration, and CD image that
lives in RAM can be configuration that many users would prefer, due to its
speed.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/