  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 15:29:43 -0600
On Mon, 3 Aug 2009, Joe Harmon wrote:
On 8/3/2009 at 02:14 PM, Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
So here's a suggestion

1) Keep the current selection page

2) KDE first and preselected followed by GNOME and others

3) KDE will not push at a later date for removing the option for GNOME or any other environment

Work for you?

Personally I don't have an issue with KDE being listed first but I do have an issue with KDE being selected by default. Why not just leave it to the user to select one or the other. I think if you have either selected by default you run into the KDE vs GNOME wars.

+1. The only problem is this does not address the new linux user that only wants to click next. Some of the points about new users may need to be addressed. Those of us already using the desktops already have made a choice and that is why I think we prefer nothing selected.

So to some things up...

Things I think people agree on.

1. OK to have KDE listed first.

2. There is an issue with new users and the next ... next on the DVD.

3. Not a good idea to stop creating/using DVD. It has those of use that do many installs and where some of the sites lack internet access. DVD is a must for these.

Issuse.

1. Do we need new wording on the selection screen?

2. Do we need a selected choice for new user?

3. If we do need a selection, how to do it to advance the ideals/guiding principles and avoid the political mess? (So we do not go through this again and again!

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx> 801 849-0213