  • From: Karsten König <remur@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 20:00:30 +0200
Am Montag, 3. August 2009 19:43:27 schrieb PGNet Dev:
2009/8/3 Karsten König <remur@xxxxxxx>:
Am Montag, 3. August 2009 19:18:21 schrieb PGNet Dev:
i'm simply astonished that Googling &/or directly visiting the KDE &
Gnome sites seems such an unreasonable expectation of a user.

Do we really need to tell everybody stepping through the door to go back
out and read the sign about how to enter properly?
And KDE or GNOME would result in a pretty big sign...

We should focus on inviting the user to discover his choices and
reminding long term users about them sure can't hurt either.

and how might they "discover" their choices? by preselcting a given
radio box? by changing the order of presentation? by adding a couple
of screenshots?

The installer is no place to discover features, it's there to get the
installing job done, and look good doing so.

do you really believe that that can & should be accomplished in the
_installer_?

No, that's what others and me have been saying already, if the user can't
decide for now we do for him, like it is done everywhere else.
Btw, KMail offers a filter bar, you can filter for names etc so to see what
their position on this is and not just make them repeat everything...

if it's such a big issue, put a link/discussion/screenshot/whatever
prominently "inviting a user to discover his choices" at the opensuse
website where they likely got the installer DVD in the first place ...

That sounds like a good idea, maybe redirect people after starting the
download to an "Introduction to opensuse and it's features" page?
A "discover your choices" page blinking up on first start? I always close the
current one right away, but I suppose people that want to "check out Linux"
won't.

Karsten