[opensuse-project] Re: openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 16:31:39 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 12:18:23 -0400, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

If I were trying to introduce a *completely new user, I'd rather have
them try a live CD anyway that just whips on a totally pre-selected set
of applications after they've had a chance to boot it and see if it
works with their hardware. So I'd push one of the live CDs rather than
the DVD...

Makes sense to me. Logically, by the time a user gets to an
installation, they should have an idea if the distro will install for
them and which desktop they want.

That perhaps means that a default choice doesn't make sense - since
they'll have made their choice during their evaluation with the LiveCD,
either the default selection will be what they want or it won't be.

Or I suppose one could look at it that a default choice makes no
difference (rather than "doesn't make sense") as long as a choice is
presented. It's not about saving time (assume KDE is preselected as a
default, hitting "Next" takes .1 seconds; for GNOME users selecting the
GNOME option and hitting "Next" takes .25 seconds. Big deal). it's about
politics.

So, from my point of view, go ahead, make KDE the default selection if
it'll make the KDE users feel loved.

If the KDE "camp" will commit to not pushing to remove the option for
GNOME (or lower its prominence in the selection screen by moving it to
"other" or doing anything other than presenting it alongside the KDE
options - heck, go ahead and list KDE first if it's that important to
them) down the road, then fine. As an individual GNOME user, give me the
option and support it equally and I'm a happy camper.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson