  • From: Uwe Buckesfeld <u.buckesfeld@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 18:29:01 +0200
On Monday 03 August 2009 17:27:51 Jim Henderson wrote:
Fair point. OK, so what's wrong with forcing the user to make a
decision? Why is there an aversion to making the user make the
determination for themselves?

If you talk to Ubuntu users, one of the key points of their success was the
focus on a very easy installation without decision making in the process.

From a newbie point of view, choosing a desktop environment is an obstacle.
They usually sit in front of their only computer, booted from the DVD and now
they have no idea what KDE or Gnome are, nor do they know anything about the
differences. And they don't have a computer available to search the internet.

With Ubuntu's strong focus on Gnome, we see a certain type of users in the
forums who made the switch to openSUSE because they want to try KDE
(apparently Ubuntu's KDE integration still sucks).

I don't know if this means we should set KDE as a default. But IMHO setting a
default has its merits for a certain type of user. The advanced user
definitely needs a choice.

What if the automated install (not sure what it is called, the option where
you don't have to configure much; I never use it <G>) would default to KDE,
whereas the detailed installation has all the choices?

Uwe