Re: [opensuse-project] openFATE feature #306967 , my KDE summary
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 11:09:20 -0500
Hi Martin,

Il giorno lun, 03/08/2009 alle 10.19 +0200, Martin Schlander ha scritto:
You were around when Novell threatened to drop KDE from SLE, when they
changed
the installer to (discretely but clearly) push GNOME, and when they shoved a
GTK updater applet in the KDE installation, so you should really know better.

Yes, I was around then, and it is exactly the reason why I cannot
support this decision as well I did not support the decision to push
GNOME as default.

These and other ill-considered actions have chased away a lot of KDE users,
and made the remaining ones feel like openSUSE might turn against them any
minute. And made lots and lots of potential openSUSE KDE users look elsewhere.

I'm still waiting to see an actual evidence that KDE users left just
because of the lack of a default. Everyone is avoiding the point.

Adding the preselection would remedy the mistakes of the past in a second -
as
well as solving all the other problems caused by not having a default.

I don't think it was a mistake to decide not to have a default. It was
actually a good idea, to put the two DE's on the same level. What you
and other KDE supporters are suggesting is actually a step back.

What are the problems caused by the lack of a default? That we have two
polished desktops and KDE is feeling the competition? I don't see it as
a problem.
In addition, someone suggested that preselecting KDE would bring more
"focus". I disagree. More focus is obtained at a planning level, when
decisions about the distribution are taken, not pre-selecting a
checkbox. If this is the first step with the intention to make of
openSUSE a KDE distribution only again, just state it clearly, but I
don't think it will happen and I don't think it would be the right
choice. If the point is really about pre-selecting a checkbox, well,
please tell to your KDE friend they need a vacation, because their level
of frustration is a bit too high if they really need that to feel more
motivated (Sorry for the rough words, but this discussion is really
about nothing).

GNOME users wouldn't feel threatened at all, since they know GNOME is the
SLED
default and hence it's not going anywhere.

This has to be proven. I would say it surely won't motivate the GNOME
users and contributors, and I could use exactly the same motivations you
used until now to support the choice of KDE. I won't do that simply
because I think GNOME users and developers in all this discussion were a
bit smarter, staying away from it instead than repeating a discussion we
had too many times.

Best,
A.