[opensuse-project] Default desktop: the Belgian solution
  • From: Jean Cayron <jean.cayron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 17:28:45 +0200
In Belgium we have often this kind of endless discussions but not
about desktops but about languages. As you know there are three
officials languages (Dutch, French and German) and amongst them two
main ones (Dutch and French). A bit like our desktop, Xfce being the
German language ;-)

Some National Institutions have their name in two languages like the
Opera in Brussels "La Monnaie" (FR) or "De Munt" (NL). To make
everyone happy they've decided for the marketing and other public
communications to use one year the naming "De Munt - La Monnaie" and
the one after "La Monnaie - De Munt" and so on for years.

As some KDE users feel unhappy that the Gnome desktop appears first on
the list during the installation let me propose this:
- For 11.2 lets place KDE first
- For 11.3 lets place Gnome first
- For 12.0 lets place KDE first
and so on... And if another Desktop (Moblin, Xfce?) becomes
mainstream, let see later.
Of course, none of them should be preselected. My experience with
firends is that if they don't know, they click on the first one.

Hope that it can help positively to put an end to this never ending discussion.

Regards to all KDE, Gnome and other openSUSE lovers,

Djan