  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 13:26:46 +0200
On Sunday 02 August 2009 20:44:13 Jim Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:51:24 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
Actually, I take this back, as I think I completely misinterpreted
feature
#306967 here. After careful reading again and thinking about it, I see
it now like this:

- the only request there is "make KDE the default desktop". It is
nowhere asked that openSUSE focuses primarily on KDE or that GNOME is
neglected. In fact, it explicitly states that GNOME should remain
supported as a choice.

- this can be achieved by preselecting the KDE radiobutton during
installation and nothing more

- everything else in the feature is a description of benefits of doing
so (and only doing so, without expressing any explicit focus on KDE or
anything similar)

Setting the radiobutton to pre-select KDE does specify a preference of
the project.

How about instead incorporating a suggestion made elsewhere in the
discussion:

- Change the radiobuttons to checkboxes
- Pre-select *both* KDE and GNOME

This option would put both on equal footing and shouldn't alienate anyone
- additionally, it overrides the perception that because GNOME is listed
first there's some sort of special preference (personally I've never seen
it that way but understand why some people think that an alphabetical
sort does provide a preference - unfortunately something always has to
come first).

You just postpone the decision, this will not help:
Then we would continue to discuss whether GDM or KDM is started by default,
whether a new user that does no changes gets a GNOME or KDE desktop etc...

Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger, aj@{novell.com,opensuse.org}
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany