Re: [opensuse-project] openFATE feature #306967 , my KDE summary
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 12:41:01 +0200
Am Montag 03 August 2009 schrieb Martin Schlander:
Mandag den 3. august 2009 09:58:07 skrev Alberto Passalacqua:
This is not about treating KDE users as second class citizens. They are
already not treated as such. I have some difficulty to see why
contributors are actually blocked now, and can become suddenly more
interested by selecting a radio button during the installation. Is there
any actual contributor that explicitly said "I do not contribute because
of that"? Did anyone actually say it would be more interested in
contributing if the default DE were KDE?

You were around when Novell threatened to drop KDE from SLE, when they
changed the installer to (discretely but clearly) push GNOME, and when they
shoved a GTK updater applet in the KDE installation, so you should really
know better.

Let me avoid one mistake here: openSUSE will continue having a GTK updater
applet in the KDE desktop if noone writes a KDE updater. The only thing that's
different from the past will be, that the decision to go with one or the other
backend will be made public, so it's _possible_ for KDE developers to jump in
and write a frontend.

But if openSUSE decides to have a default desktop, Novell will not magically
turn around and devel more KDE software, but it will not "push things down" on
openSUSE either. So it has to be clear to everyone argueing pro KDE in the
feature and this mailing list, that the KDE experience will only improve when
more people contribute to it - not by making it the default. Making either the
default does IMO not change the fact in any way.

Greetings, Stephan