Re: [opensuse-project] openFATE feature #306967 , my KDE summary
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 10:19:32 +0200
Mandag den 3. august 2009 09:58:07 skrev Alberto Passalacqua:
This is not about treating KDE users as second class citizens. They are
already not treated as such. I have some difficulty to see why
contributors are actually blocked now, and can become suddenly more
interested by selecting a radio button during the installation. Is there
any actual contributor that explicitly said "I do not contribute because
of that"? Did anyone actually say it would be more interested in
contributing if the default DE were KDE?

You were around when Novell threatened to drop KDE from SLE, when they changed
the installer to (discretely but clearly) push GNOME, and when they shoved a
GTK updater applet in the KDE installation, so you should really know better.

These and other ill-considered actions have chased away a lot of KDE users,
and made the remaining ones feel like openSUSE might turn against them any
minute. And made lots and lots of potential openSUSE KDE users look elsewhere.

Adding the preselection would remedy the mistakes of the past in a second - as
well as solving all the other problems caused by not having a default.

GNOME users wouldn't feel threatened at all, since they know GNOME is the SLED
default and hence it's not going anywhere.