Re: [opensuse-project] openFATE feature #306967 , my KDE summary
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:41:17 +0200
Hi,

Le lundi 03 août 2009, à 01:09 +0200, Lubos Lunak a écrit :
The original thread has grown quite a lot over the weekend, 150+ mails, and
also parts of it is rubbish (like suggesting that by default both KDE and
GNOME are installed, which somehow magically solves the problem of the
default selection), so I suppose it will be a pain to process for those
reading it only now after the weekend. Therefore I'd like to present an
attempt at a summary of the KDE view of the issue. As interpreted by me, of
course, since different people still have slightly different positions, but I
hope it at least gives an overview to those who do not want to dig in the
(and maybe 3rd party, if considered useful too). So:

I read the whole thread (I think), and didn't want to reply because I
don't feel it's useful to just add more comments that will then get
debated again and again... (And there are a few sentences here and there
about GNOME that I strongly feel I should have commented, fwiw)

My issue is that most people in this thread are biased (that's fine) and
do not try to understand the point of view from other people. The latter
is not fine since it's what makes this thread loop. At some point,
people should just say "fine, let's agree that we disagree" instead of
stating the same point of view one more time ;-)

I won't write a GNOME summary because I don't know what it would be.
Only a few people from the GNOME team replied (with slightly different
opinions, I think) and several people didn't bother replying when the
thread started going nowhere. Also if the discussion has to be
polarized, it should be in a "for this feature"/"against this feature"
way, not GNOME/KDE -- it makes no sense to discuss it this way, unless
we want to split our community.

Again, I'll point out that what should be discussed first is not if KDE
should be the default, but if we want a default, and if yes, how the
default should be expressed (pre-selected radio button, first item in
the list, or even removal of the choice during the installer steps,
etc.). The question of what the default should be is orthogonal to this
one.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.