  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 23:54:08 -0500
Il giorno dom, 02/08/2009 alle 22.14 +0200, Lubos Lunak ha scritto:
On Sunday 02 of August 2009, Alberto Passalacqua wrote:
The actual problems have *nothing* to do with the default desktop.

They *do*. We keep sending our largest user base a signal that there are
others that are considered more important for openSUSE.

but do not pretend that choosing a
default desktop will fix automatically increase the number of users and
contributors as someone in the KDE team is suggesting. It is simply an
unfounded statement.

I didn't say it will automatically do that. What I said was that it has a
good potential of doing that, better than keeping the current way.

Actually that was exactly the point made by wstephenson at the project
meeting. And I would like to understand what is preventing users now to
contribute to KDE or to openSUSE in general. I can find various reasons,
but I really do not think the default desktop or the lack of it is among
them.

The summary of this discussion is that everyone perceives openSUSE as a
distribution with a strong KDE implementation. So why should
pre-selecting a desktop in an installation screen make any difference
(in both senses) is not really clear to me, if the goal is not another
one.

However, what I also said was that not choosing the default desktop will
decrease the number. Been there, tried that, it worked. And this statement is
founded, by this very distribution. We can try to show it again by confirming
the current status, but I thought the point was making openSUSE grow, not
shrink.

Where are evidences of this. I mean the evidences that specifically the
lack of a default desktop is the cause of lack of contribution or of
shrinkage of the user base.

Best,
A.