[opensuse-project] Re: openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 04:16:00 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 22:49:13 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:

On Sunday 02 August 2009 07:54:50 pm Jim Henderson wrote:

If that's all the discussion is about, then put KDE at the top of the
list and leave it set as no default selection.

The whole discussion is about user perception of KDE status within
openSUSE.

Well, my perception as a user is that KDE is the predominant desktop (not
just from the surveys but because I know the makeup of the development
team at SUSE, and know a few of them personally).

Current status is political rubbish that doesn't help anyone to feel
good, as this whole thread shows.

Bingo. However most of the proposed solutions also are political rubbish
that don't help anyone feel good. Certainly not helped by the few who
won't feel good unless their solution is the one picked as the solution.

IMHO, good solution is to set one release KDE as default, the other
GNOME. That would be equal status, and nobody will feel endangered. The
message that sent to users will be clear, provided that .

Well, that is double the work (unless I misunderstand what you're saying
here) and leaves those who actually want both with a point of decision to
make - as well as no doubt the ensuing battle over which option gets
listed first on the website.

Unless your proposal is to alternate the default selection with each
release - odd releases get GNOME as the default, even get KDE as the
default. That would set 11.2 with a default selection of KDE and 11.3
with a default selection of GNOME. That might work.

But I do think the installer should make it clear that both can be
installed at the same time and provide that option, and certainly let the
person doing the installation override any default set (if it's
absolutely necessary that one be set, still not convinced that one
*needs* to be set as the default).

Not using any default is not helping new users at all, as it pushes our
inability to make decision in this simple matter to the user.

It belongs to the user, though. Providing the user with the information
to make an informed decision (such as the liveCDs) is the right thing to
do IMO.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson