[opensuse-project] Re: openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 00:54:50 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:29:22 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:

On Sunday 02 August 2009 05:56:26 pm Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Sunday, 2009-08-02 at 21:05 +0200, Martin Schlander wrote:
And stop trying to pretend that the current non-default with GNOME on
top isn't seen as specification of a preference by everybody.

That's absolutely false.

By some KDE zealots, sure. >:-P

It is seen as that, by many more then few loud here.

In every other place, or any other situation, whoever wins hearts of
majority is listed as No. 1, only in openSUSE desktop selection it is
No. 2.

On the other hand, how do you explain vigorous resistance to give up on
a first place, even the numbers of users doesn't support that position.
Isn't that somewhat off balance.

If that's all the discussion is about, then put KDE at the top of the
list and leave it set as no default selection.

That's a concession from at least a few GNOME users. Now let's have the
KDE users concede that a "default selection" of KDE doesn't make them
*equal* (as some have claimed), but that it does relegate the GNOME users
to be (as some KDE users have declared the state of KDE users is) "second-
class citizens". Personally, I think that whole concept is rubbish, for
reasons I've stated a few times in other parts of the discussion.

I'd at least like to see some of the fervent and outspoken KDE users
admit that setting KDE as a default selection doesn't make things
*equal*, but instead makes it a *preference* (which is what they are
really saying).

I'm absolutely exhausted with this discussion. I've said my peace and
don't expect to have anything new to say (though one never knows, I've
asked a few questions that are unanswered and may have something to say
about the answers to those questions).

I'll just conclude with this:

http://xkcd.com/198/

There's more I could say, but it wouldn't really change the minds of
those who are dead-set against what I consider to be reasonable ideas.
Sadly, I doubt there's much that would change their minds.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson