[opensuse-project] Re: openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 23:50:44 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:28:59 +0200, Martin Schlander wrote:

Whereas the "message" from Novell towards KDE users in recent years have
been: "We'd like to replace our existing users and contributors with new
ones, thank you, goodbye".

Well, I for one don't see it that way. I don't develop for GNOME or KDE
nor do I use KDE extensively (there are two KDE apps I do use so I have
libraries for both installed), but I don't see Novell's actions in any
way saying "we don't want KDE developers to be involved". Those who
interpret Novell's actions as such would seem to be saying that *any*
GNOME development in openSUSE is a signal that Novell doesn't want KDE
developers involved, and clearly that's a ridiculous assertion.

Trueth is this default problem is minor, despite the lenght of the
thread

Nope, it's a major problem.

It's a constant reminder to a majority of our community that they're not
really appreciated - only just barely tolerated - and that important
decisions are not made based on common sense or what's good for
openSUSE, but on the whims and political agendas of some invisble
managers somewhere. Which of course creates some animosity against the
minority that abuses it's position to force it's will on openSUSE
against the best interest of the project.

Are you seriously suggesting that the addition of *choices* to the
installation menu (and the lack of preferring any one over the other) is
such a dire situation that it rises to the level of "yeah, you're there,
and we don't want you developing KDE stuff, but we'll put up with it"?

If that's truly the case, then nothing short of the total removal of
GNOME, XFCE, and the other possible installation options is truly going
to make those people happy. Otherwise, the inclusion of other choices is
just a reminder that they're not the only kids in the sandbox.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson