  • From: alpha096@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 09:28:46 +1000
No I did not miss the point - I will slow the conversation down a
little for you.
You were discussing which desktop was more light weight, Gnome or KDE.
As previously mentioned your VM is going to get thrashed, so any testing
of either desktop will solely rely on your HDD IO's Speed.
The speed will invariably decline with more use of the PC as the Kernel
will try to keep as much of past application loaded in cache.
In your case the cashed files will probably sit on VM. So with very
limited resources the slow-down of either desktop, once loaded will
increase exponentially after you open or use any application until its
runs out of VM and all cache buffers will get flushed.

There is no value in timing either desktop in an environment that is
dependant on VM as you cannot make any real comparisons.
There are far too many variables and you are not starting with a level
playing or test field in the first instance.

I mentioned MS because I don't know what O/S your were running prior to
Suse, but what ever your were running probably
would have been a very ancient version of any MS offering. Yet you
expect a brand new version of Suse to run and do what cannot be done
with other O/S.

It appears that rather that updating very old technology you are
searching for an O/S that will buy you more time for your hardware. This
is not going to happen for you. Rather than discussing different
desktops I think you need to seriously thing about how obsolete your
technology is.
and you want the impossible from either desktop.

Measuring start-up is irrelevant, and any other time/performance
indications on each desktop will depend on the speed of you HDD IO's

Carlos E. R. wrote:
< Previous Next >
List Navigation
This Thread