  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 01:03:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2009-08-02 at 20:15 -0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:50:38 +0200, Martin Schlander wrote:

And we may be vocal - but we're just saying what everybody's thinking -
including a great deal of users who have left.

Again, I'm part of "everybody" and I'm not thinking that, so the above
statement is categorically false. ;)

You don't want to know my opinion of people who would leave a major
project like openSUSE over such a trivial part of the overall system.

If the installer changes to KDE as a default selection, I won't stop
using openSUSE, but I will be disappointed that - if that decision is
made - that the project's guiding principle that says we value choice was
determined to be not as important as making a vocal minority of KDE users
happy.

I would be very disappointed, and would stop being proud of being a member of this community. I would no longer feel a part of this project and welcomed. :-/

But in the final analysis, if GNOME stays on the menu (which I know
nobody has suggested it not stay), then this affects me about 5 times,
once for each system upgrade. I'm just floored that there are members of
the KDE community who are so wound up over something that is so
inherently trivial.

Nobody has suggested removing gnome - yet. That may be a next move. If the majority can decide to harm the minority, as this proposal is doing right now, what is there to stop them doing more damage?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.