  • From: Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 00:36:56 +0200 (CEST)
On Sun, 2 Aug 2009, Jim Henderson wrote:
Lubos, you keep saying this, but how does an equal selection imply one
is more important than the other? I really don't follow your logic
here.

The desktop environment selection in the installer is the sole and very
prominent case where we don't provide a default choice of technology (or,
in fact, where we highlight technology options at that level).

We do not have this for postfix vs sendmail vs exim, vi vs Emacs vs
Xemacs, nor many others. And while this is not the topic of the present
discussion, it can and has been argued that skipping the entire dialog by
default like we do in all those other cases would simplify installation,
especially for non-expert users. To be clear, I am not suggesting such
a more drastic change though it would make sense from a usability point
of view. Sometimes community trumps usability.

Gerald
--
Dr. Gerald Pfeifer E gp@xxxxxxxxxx SUSE Linux Products GmbH
Director Product Management F +49(911)74053-483 HRB 16746 (AG Nuremberg)