  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 17:25:57 -0500
On Sunday 02 August 2009 04:42:49 pm Gabriel wrote:
Lubos Lunak escribió:
They *do*. We keep sending our largest user base a signal that there are
others that are considered more important for openSUSE.

Where the hell are you getting that impression???? We all know kde is
the openSUSE's 'spoiled child'

KDE is SUSE - that is what made SUSE distinct and good distro.

If SUSE would use GNOME, I would be using something else now.
I was first complaining when KDE was set as default, but, just as it happened
recently with KDE4, KDE was very fast a very good and usable desktop, while
GNOME was broken in many details, for a while.

Using GNOME distro like Red Hat, didn't help much to make me feel good. Nice
graphics, some changes instantly applied without need to press a single key,
was impressive, but missing many configuration tools that were available in
KDE wasn't any help. Even smooth availability of Windows shares, comparing to
SUSE somewhat complicated ways, wasn't enough to convince me to stay with Red
Hat learning GNOME.

On the other hand, smooth GNOME comparing to KDE4 was for sure feature that
saved some users from wandering off the openSUSE camp in the last few
releases, so we do need both. Taking that GNOME can't procrastinate changes,
and is somewhat late to the fest, it can happen that in the near future we
will see KDE4 rescuing openSUSE, this time from the GNOME rebirth problems.

I guess that KDE default might be a good choice for next few releases, like
having GNOME default for past few releases would help to have more users.

This world is competitive place and there is many companies fighting for user
attention. Throwing experimental software on non suspecting people without
warning, will not help to gain followers. (It didn't in the past, and that
will not change.)

--
Regards, Rajko