  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 14:46:24 -0500
Il giorno dom, 02/08/2009 alle 21.05 +0200, Martin Schlander ha scritto:
And stop trying to pretend that the current non-default with GNOME on top
isn't seen as specification of a preference by everybody.

It's not perceived in that way by me. But I have nothing against moving
KDE at the top if this is reassuring for KDE users.

[joking mode on]One could think to randomize the order, put them in
diagonal, horizontally...[/off] ;-)

Instead it'd make matters much worse than the status quo and creates a ton of
new problems - bloat, waste of disk space, menu clutter, alienating KDE *and*
GNOME fanboys, what to (auto)login to on first boot.. etc. It's a horrible
idea.

I agree. I was among those who pushed to have a clean GNOME installation
without any trace of KDE for what possible. I don't see how installing
two DE's by default can help. And this decision is *not* a joke, it will
have consequences on the future of the distribution, so please *be
realistic* and use a grain of salt when proposing something!

The idea of randomized sort order is a bit better - but still a non-solution
to the actual problems.

The actual problems have *nothing* to do with the default desktop. I
have been hammering for too long about them I really lost any interest
in opening the discussion again, but do not pretend that choosing a
default desktop will fix automatically increase the number of users and
contributors as someone in the KDE team is suggesting. It is simply an
unfounded statement.

Best,
A.