[opensuse-project] Re: openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 19:33:57 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:05:17 +0200, Martin Schlander wrote:

Setting the radiobutton to pre-select KDE does specify a preference of
the project.

Yes. The preference of 70% of our users.

Perhaps it's their preference because older releases pushed KDE on them
(I don't know, I started using SUSE Linux in the release 9 days).
Perhaps if they'd been given a choice of GNOME, they'd have chosen it,
but now they're used to KDE so that's what they use because they're
comfortable with it. I know that's the reason I use GNOME - it's what
I'm comfortable with.

And stop trying to pretend that the current non-default with GNOME on
top isn't seen as specification of a preference by everybody.

I am a member of "everybody" and I don't see it that way. Therefore, the
above statement is categorically false. ;)

How about instead incorporating a suggestion made elsewhere in the
discussion:

- Change the radiobuttons to checkboxes - Pre-select *both* KDE and
GNOME

This option would put both on equal footing and shouldn't alienate
anyone

I can't believe this idea still lives.

It's a *GOOD* idea.

It doesn't solve *any* of the problems that the feature request tries to
address (confusion for new users, alienating the vast majority of our
community etc.).

Instead it'd make matters much worse than the status quo and creates a
ton of new problems - bloat, waste of disk space, menu clutter,
alienating KDE *and* GNOME fanboys, what to (auto)login to on first
boot.. etc. It's a horrible idea.

For those who know better, they can deselect one or the other. It's not
a default *installation* option, it's a default *selection* option. For
users who don't know what they would prefer, it provides an option for
them to try *both* environments. For those who know what their
preference is, they can deselect the one they don't want. So I can
deselect KDE and go on my way. You can deselect GNOME and go on your way.

I again have to state that I don't understand what it is that this vocal
minority of KDE users is so afraid of when it comes to having GNOME
available as a selection or installed alongside KDE.

The idea of randomized sort order is a bit better - but still a
non-solution to the actual problems.

IMHO, there isn't really a "problem" here to be solved, other than a
problem that to me appears to be manufactured, that of somehow
"alienating" KDE users by NOT forcing KDE on all users as a default
choice.

By selecting KDE as a default, the project *does* favour one DE over the
other. Those who say they want the two to be treated equally but then
say "let's select KDE as the default for users who don't know which they
want" very specifically *isn't* treating them as equal choices, so at the
very least those who propose KDE be selected as default should just
honestly say that they're pushing for a preference for KDE instead of
pretending that it's giving both DEs equal treatment when it's not.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson