  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 21:05:17 +0200
Søndag den 2. august 2009 20:44:13 skrev Jim Henderson:
On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:51:24 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
Actually, I take this back, as I think I completely misinterpreted
feature
#306967 here. After careful reading again and thinking about it, I see
it now like this:

- the only request there is "make KDE the default desktop". It is
nowhere asked that openSUSE focuses primarily on KDE or that GNOME is
neglected. In fact, it explicitly states that GNOME should remain
supported as a choice.

- this can be achieved by preselecting the KDE radiobutton during
installation and nothing more

- everything else in the feature is a description of benefits of doing
so (and only doing so, without expressing any explicit focus on KDE or
anything similar)

Setting the radiobutton to pre-select KDE does specify a preference of
the project.

Yes. The preference of 70% of our users.

And stop trying to pretend that the current non-default with GNOME on top
isn't seen as specification of a preference by everybody.

How about instead incorporating a suggestion made elsewhere in the
discussion:

- Change the radiobuttons to checkboxes
- Pre-select *both* KDE and GNOME

This option would put both on equal footing and shouldn't alienate anyone

I can't believe this idea still lives.

It doesn't solve *any* of the problems that the feature request tries to
address (confusion for new users, alienating the vast majority of our
community etc.).

Instead it'd make matters much worse than the status quo and creates a ton of
new problems - bloat, waste of disk space, menu clutter, alienating KDE *and*
GNOME fanboys, what to (auto)login to on first boot.. etc. It's a horrible
idea.

The idea of randomized sort order is a bit better - but still a non-solution
to the actual problems.