[opensuse-project] Re: openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 18:44:13 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:51:24 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:

Actually, I take this back, as I think I completely misinterpreted
feature
#306967 here. After careful reading again and thinking about it, I see
it now like this:

- the only request there is "make KDE the default desktop". It is
nowhere asked that openSUSE focuses primarily on KDE or that GNOME is
neglected. In fact, it explicitly states that GNOME should remain
supported as a choice.

- this can be achieved by preselecting the KDE radiobutton during
installation and nothing more

- everything else in the feature is a description of benefits of doing
so (and only doing so, without expressing any explicit focus on KDE or
anything similar)

Setting the radiobutton to pre-select KDE does specify a preference of
the project.

How about instead incorporating a suggestion made elsewhere in the
discussion:

- Change the radiobuttons to checkboxes
- Pre-select *both* KDE and GNOME

This option would put both on equal footing and shouldn't alienate anyone
- additionally, it overrides the perception that because GNOME is listed
first there's some sort of special preference (personally I've never seen
it that way but understand why some people think that an alphabetical
sort does provide a preference - unfortunately something always has to
come first).

This suggestion gives the most "politically neutral" installation screen
since it specifically states (and text can be added to the effect) that
both KDE and GNOME are equally important to the project.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson