[opensuse-project] openFATE feature 306967, Moblin default ...
  • From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 20:13:58 +0800

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 14:06 +0200, Michael Loeffler wrote:
Due to upcoming feature freeze for openSUSE 11.2 we have only the
possibility to default the radio button to KDE.

Urk ... so my real concern here - how to get 'Moblin' listed as a third
(or more) option in the install page, is made obsolete by a feature
freeze ? [ I was really hoping we could get that in there - am I too
late ? ].

Then of course, there comes the vexed issue of whether to call it
'Goblin', 'Moblin', and/or "openSUSE / Goblin 2.0 netbook, consumer
media edition" (or near offer).

Of course, in my mind, this vastly depends on whether we do
alpahabetic, or reverse alphabetic sorting in that dialog; I'm ready to
consider new names: AAAoblin and ZZZoblin (yawn) ;-)

[ missing space for boilerplate, aggressive, logical
argumentation - on the relative merits of Moblin vs. Gnome,
how exclusion will rob us of our nascent community there,
that no-choice is a choice (or is it ?), and so on ad
nauseum ;-].

Then again, any Moblin entry should prolly not be shown unless you have
Intel graphics so ... perhaps that leads to another interesting idea:

Incidentally - one of the really laudable goals in the wish not to have
a desktop choice is/was to have one fewer choice during the install
flow. While we are there - I was -really- hoping that the keyboard /
location / timezone selection stuff [ much as I love the map widget ]
could be axed by doing some geo-location magic with the ethernet card.

As a highly unhelpful suggestion ;-> - if we have a locale and network
by the time the desktop choice is made, we could massively over-engineer
the problem: with per-region desktop defaults; pre-region default
sorting orders, a per-mac-address server-side, default desktop database,
avahi located "default-to-KDE-server" virtual machines lurking on the
Lan, local electronic lan / default elections ? - the mind boggles at
the possibilities. Lets get coding ...

Not-that-seriously,

Michael.

--