  • From: Administrator <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 11:53:08 +0100
On Sunday 02 Aug 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Sunday, 2009-08-02 at 11:18 +0200, jdd (kim2) wrote:
Carlos E. R. a écrit :
However, supposing it's to the main thread subject, I think openSUSE
should have a default GUI, whathever you want (I don't bother it being
Gnome or Kde), of course retaining all the present options.

we should be able to know what somebody say when he say "I installed
all by default" on phone call or mail

No, I don't think so. One of the main points of Linux is having choices,
and the sooner the new user realizes that, the better.

The key to sensible choices is relevant information. We (the Linux community)
don't provide the kind of information people need to choose between the
various desktop offerings. Presenting a choice in these circumstances is the
same as making a random selection for them.

The statements about "this (or that) desktop is better" are incomplete and
misleading. They are better for particular purposes. KDE is "better"
because it is more similar to Windows is a sensible statement which can be
both verified and understood. xfce is "better" because it is lightweight and
runs faster on machines with fewer resources (i.e. older machines) is also a
useful (and verifiable) statement. I don't know much about Gnome so can't
make similar statements about it.

Lets get away from personal preferences and start saying things which help
others, especially naive users.

David