  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 20:52:56 -0500
On Saturday 01 August 2009 19:23, Jim Henderson wrote:
What I'm really curious about is what it is that those who *are*
threatened by the inclusion of a GNOME option (clearly not all KDE users
are threatened by this, so we're talking about what I sincerely hope is a
small group of vocal people) are so afraid of with the inclusion of GNOME
or the lack of a pre-selection being made for KDE.
It is a small group of vocal people.

Are they afraid that
users might decide to use something other than KDE and that will somehow
cause resource allocation to the KDE project (which is not controlled by
Novell *or* openSUSE) to be diminished?
No. its basically more human than any of that. Some people are simply
afraid
of those who are different... not like them. Most of this preference stuff is
just that simple---difference fear.
Diviersity is a good thing. Choice is a good thing. Diversity and
choice
strengthen the suse product. Customers like choice, and suse users are
fundamentally drawn to customer choice and customer freedom.
Chevy-Ford
Pepsi-Coke
Gnome-KDE
suse-ubuntu :)
whatever.... and its not just an American thing either. Most folks
the
world over love choice. Take their choice away, and it will have negative
repurcussions. The default should be choice, and don't be swayed by small
groups of vocal lobbyists who are threatened by other users personal
preferences--choices.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><