  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 01:10:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2009-08-02 at 00:50 +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:
So, if the majority someday decides to drop xfce for 11.3,
and later gnome for 14.0, it will be done?

It depends. If any desktop is used by < 0.1% of openSUSE installations, we should seriously consider dropping it from the default ISOs, though
of course developers/users would be more than welcome to maintain it in
the openSUSE Build Service and make it available from there.

That's the logical decision.

(Don't get hung on the 0.1% number, please. There is no hard rule, I am just using this as a plausible example. And "we" refers to the openSUSE community.)

We certainly should not drop a desktop environment which a significant
number of our users run; that would hurt the overall project badly and
I hope^Wbelieve this is nobody's intention here.

Obviously. But my point is (expanding on what Zonker said), that if the majority wants something like that, even if it is illogical, would we do it? Where is the limit?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.