  • From: Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:50:19 +0200 (CEST)
On Sat, 1 Aug 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:
So, if the majority someday decides to drop xfce for 11.3,
and later gnome for 14.0, it will be done?

It depends. If any desktop is used by < 0.1% of openSUSE installations, we should seriously consider dropping it from the default ISOs, though
of course developers/users would be more than welcome to maintain it in
the openSUSE Build Service and make it available from there.

(Don't get hung on the 0.1% number, please. There is no hard rule, I am just using this as a plausible example. And "we" refers to the openSUSE community.)

We certainly should not drop a desktop environment which a significant
number of our users run; that would hurt the overall project badly and
I hope^Wbelieve this is nobody's intention here.

Gerald
--
Dr. Gerald Pfeifer E gp@xxxxxxxxxx SUSE Linux Products GmbH
Director Product Management F +49(911)74053-483 HRB 16746 (AG Nuremberg)