  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 22:27:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2009-07-31 at 09:53 -0400, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Lubos Lunak<> wrote:
On Friday 31 of July 2009, Michael Loeffler wrote:

 :-/ ... no way to prevent that, though, and where does one set the limit of
who still is worthy voting and who is not?

Sure there is. I'm not convinced that voting should be open to any and all.

We had a jump in registered users following this feature of more than
200 users, which means to me a bunch of people who may not have had an
interest in participating in openSUSE decision making have suddenly
taken an interest in one feature.

Indeed :-(

Now -- if this means we have >200 potential contributors who are going
to remain involved, great! If it means we have >200 people who just
want to say "+1 KDE" and then go back to being not involved, not so
good.

So, if the majority someday decides to drop xfce for 11.3,
and later gnome for 14.0, it will be done?

- the feature shows the success of opening up the openSUSE
project. Few years ago decisions were made by Novell and nowadays decisions
are challenged by our community.

 If this feature gets approved, it would certainly show that openSUSE is
really open and not just something that Novell fully controls.

Novell does want the project to be "really open" and I don't believe
it would stand in the way of this feature. But, that doesn't make this
something wise to do just to demonstrate that the project can go in a
different direction than Novell.

Indeed...

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.