  • From: Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 20:20:48 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Susanne Oberhauser wrote:
That means to make 2/3 of the users a tad happyer, we make 1/3 of the
users feel second class.

I doubt setting a default will really help to grow the openSUSE user
base or Linux growth in general.

I'd focus on making decisions simpler.

The argument has been made, for SLED and also in some discussions related
to this openFATE request, that having this kind of choice is confusing and
makes openSUSE (or Linux) look worse for what Zonker referred to as the
huge untapped market. As a result SLED does not provide this kind of
choice any more. I am not suggesting to make this change for openSUSE
(regardless of what the default would be), but it is a valid point.

In the absence of such a move, indeed making the decision easier is the
second best option from this perspective.

Gerald
--
Dr. Gerald Pfeifer E gp@xxxxxxxxxx SUSE Linux Products GmbH
Director Product Management F +49(911)74053-483 HRB 16746 (AG Nuremberg)