  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 11:43:48 +0200
On Saturday 01 of August 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:
My machines are slow. I use both. My previous machine had only 32 MiB of
ram, and there KDE was noticiably slower, it swapped way more. That was
the main reason I started to use Gnome 10 years ago, even though KDE was
more complete and had a better finish in SuSE.

The KDE team has done a lot recently to improve this; a good part through
optimization of C++ in the compiler. Now KDE is nimbler in resources than
it was, but it still feels a bit heavier, at least on modest machines like
mine.

Some other time I'll time KDE and Gnome starting.

Ok. But you can please keep your performance bikeshedding out of this
discussion? It is not important here that sometimes KDE performs better and
sometimes GNOME (which is actually the fact, not the persisting myth).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer