  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 11:40:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2009-08-01 at 08:28 +0200, jdd (kim2) wrote:

Carlos E. R. a écrit :

You already made some highly controversial statements comparing KDE to MS
Windows and claiming GNOME is (significantly) more light weight than KDE.

It is a fact that gnome is lighter.

I don't mind what is different between Gnome and Kde, but I think
there is more difference than look and feel, so may be to be not
controversial Gnome users should define they desktop and kde users
they one? I only ask for something helping the users choice

Well, obviously KDE has more features, gives more options to the user. Gnome is simpler, customization is sometimes impossible, which probably means less code. KDE is done in C++, Gnome in C; the former has distinct advantages for large, complex projects, or so I'm told.

Each attract users with different mindsets. A programmer may choose looking at the internals, a user perhaps just at the externals.

The only way to choose is test both: I did as a newby, that was not a problem to me. In fact, tried all of them, about 10 years ago.

To me, the wording should encourage testing of all the environments.

The installation could even put a 10 question quiz to help the choice :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

< Previous Next >
List Navigation