  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 11:32:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2009-08-01 at 11:20 +0200, Peter Czanik wrote:

You already made some highly controversial statements comparing KDE
to MS
Windows and claiming GNOME is (significantly) more light weight than
KDE.

It is a fact that gnome is lighter.
No, it isn't. GNOME has a simpler and more consistent UI than KDE, but
both XFCE and KDE are faster and lighter on resources. I ran KDE4 on a
400Mhz PPC machine where it was slow, but worked, while GNOME swapped
the machine to death.

My machines are slow. I use both. My previous machine had only 32 MiB of ram, and there KDE was noticiably slower, it swapped way more. That was the main reason I started to use Gnome 10 years ago, even though KDE was more complete and had a better finish in SuSE.

The KDE team has done a lot recently to improve this; a good part through optimization of C++ in the compiler. Now KDE is nimbler in resources than it was, but it still feels a bit heavier, at least on modest machines like mine.

Some other time I'll time KDE and Gnome starting.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
< Previous Next >
List Navigation