  • From: Peter Czanik <pczanik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 11:15:37 +0200
Hello,

It's like setting emacs as the default editor (or vi): it's a statement
about the 'others'.

Well, I don't recall, that it was ever discussed here, or on the factory
list...

And I wonder wheter the luxury of having one click less is worth
tenderly and inadvertently yet unavoidably stepping on the toes of 1/3
of our users?

That huge step on toes was done already when KDE was not default any
more. Many of my friends left openSUSE to Kubuntu, Mandriva and even
PCBSD. For different reasons, but I switched from KDE to openSUSE XFCE
(started to use low power machines, and there XFCE fits better, than
figured out, that is is also a hell lot faster on workstations :-).
Still, I'd recommend KDE for strictly practical reasons:
- there a lot more KDE users, so one can get KDE help easier, also
Packman supports it better from my experience (yes, I try GNOME from
time to time)
- it is confusing for new users, that there is no default. And contrary
to what was already said, new users don't research, they download and
try. I already got a couple of phone calls asking what to choose, and
always recommended KDE for the above reasons.
Bye,
CzP