  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 02:02:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2009-07-31 at 11:43 -0400, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Will Stephenson<> wrote:
I think we can make the message "we recognise and respond to what our users
want".  We're not hiding GNOME as is the case with KDE on SLED nor are we
reducing Novell's investment in it.

Our users want us to check the radio button, or our users want us to
make a "marketing statement" that KDE is the preferred desktop?

Or, is it beyond that? Our users want us to focus more on KDE? That's
the sentiment that I seem to be getting so far that underlies the
feature. Not trying to put words in your mouth here - just saying that
what I see in the discussions on openFATE, on my blog, and in this
list, the real "ask" is this:

My feeling is that KDE users and devs (@novell) want to push KDE as the primary desktop, but that they will not stop there. Next they will want resources dedicated to Gnome development and integration diminished, till finally Gnome is just a bare vestigial desktop, almost useless.

That is what to me means this political statement. :-/

Yes, I have read testimonies that show almost hatred of gnome and its users...
:-/

And I will loose a distro in which I can use a fine Gnome desktop with magnificent KDE apps on top, and will have to start looking for somewhere else to go, if it exists.

What other distro can boast of such good integration between different desktops, as we have now in oS? Do you want to lose that?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

< Previous Next >
List Navigation