[opensuse-project] Re: Code names
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 02:21:39 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 07 May 2009 09:07:44 +1000, Mark V wrote:

I think this is a key statement, Mark - product release/support
policies should be separate from naming schemes.  Thus the
release/support dates shouldn't really be used as part of the naming
scheme. :-)

Perhaps I diagree with my self now :) see below. If the support date is
really fixed then I'm willing to make the compromise to place that data
front and center of casual users.

Don't ya just hate when you start disagreeing with yourself? ;-)

One can even make that the support policy _should_ be the naming scheme.

Example:
Currently openSUSE has a policy of approx 2 year lifetime. Say that
'lifespan' becomes the rule of thumb. If circumstances change and the
community decides it wants to reduce lifespans (to reduce the
community's workload, or whatever reason).... now there is a problem. If
the EOL date is built into the naming convention this is much less a
problem, just relase with a shorter date and everyone will know.

I'm beginning to wonder if we're talking at cross purposes here.

If the release is out there already with an EOL date of 2010-12 (Dec
2010), the release is already out there, surely you wouldn't want to
change it after release because a change in circumstances lead the
community to reduce the lifespan and release more frequently?

Changing the name after release is certain to be disasterous, and I'm
sure you see the reasons for that, so I'm not sure I follow what you're
saying....

So I suppose one can actually make the case that the effects of the
'lifetime' policy (the expiry date) should be as visible as possible....

The potential problems (the known unknowns) of the end-of-life naming
scheme so far are:
1) openSUSE introduces something like Ubuntus LTS where an older
relase can outlive a newer release.
2) openSUSE end-of-life dates become adjustable after a final release
is published

Are those risks worth the benefit?

I know I've seen some say they'd like an LTS policy/strategy from
openSUSE, kinda like Ubuntu's policy. That said, the obvious reply is
"if you need LTS, then you should be looking at SLES or SLED rather than
openSUSE".

Jim

--
Jim Henderson