[opensuse-project] Re: Code names
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 02:16:36 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 07 May 2009 09:24:10 +1000, Mark V wrote:

Yes it is possible to construct a release policy or development shcedule
where a EOL naming scheme is fragile.

Well, I don't know that it's "constructing" the policy or schedule that
way, but sometimes in projects stuff happens that prevents a date from
being missed. :-)

Looking at the lifetime wiki page it seems OpenSUSE share your concern
and try to plan a release date while /two/ relases are alive.

Yeah, that was my understanding as well. :-)

I doubt you could name a release only on it's release date, URI names,
mirrors etc need to be set up...
But you probably could hold off 'naming' the release until the RC or
Beta phases, etc where the risk of slipping is possible smaller.

Arguably, just because you give the release a name doesn't mean that the
current URI names/mirrors/etc have to use it. They could still use the
fixed numeric values - that's pretty well established anyways, so messing
with them would most likely create confusion.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson