Re: [opensuse-project] Code names
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 20:10:26 -0500
Naming must be easy to swallow.

Agreed. Would the following be simple enough?
Code name <color> during development phases: openSUSE Asparagus
Release name <EOL> at/near the release date: openSUSE 11-11

No, it wouldn't.
I want exact date + first and last kernel versions + + + :-)

C'mon.

It's a release name, not short history of release and it's properties.
It is something that is unique and easy to remember when you want to refer to,
when you want to put it in boot menu.

When I ask somebody which release, now I need only number.
I already know it is openSUSE and if I want to know more I will go to wiki and
see details.

Fact that Project Overview should contain more links to relevant information
is obvious, but you can't fit all that is relevant for all people in release
name. Some would like to know what is kernel version, other Firefox, third
will want to know something else. For every openSUSE user you will find
something different as important.

So lets stick with colors, or city names without extensions.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/