Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Code names
  • From: Mark V <mvyver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 08:39:32 +1000
On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 07 May 2009 08:13:29 +1000, Mark V wrote:

Problem is that end dates can change as development on the next release
progresses.  Wasn't there recently a shift from a 6 month development
cycle to an 8 month development cycle?

No problem.  During development the release name can be used and only
tagged with an EOL date during the release candidate phase (for example)
- assuming you are correct in saying that the EOL date is as fluid
during the dev cycle as  you suggest it is.

My experience (not in OSS but in closed-source development) is that the
cycles can and do vary.

That's why a product like NetWare has an EOL that's 15 years in the
future (was at one point for current releases).

Suppose in 2 years it's decided to go to a 10-month development cycle?
That shifts the end dates for the ones that are already out there.

What!  Now I am worried, is it really the case that the openSUSE
end-of-life date changes once the 'final' is released?  This seems nuts
to me so would appreciate some unambiguous clarification.....

Bear in mind that I'm speaking from the perspective of working at a
software company where EOL dates typically are dependent on the next
product release.

It seems to me that it's a better idea to go with something that isn't
able to change rather than something that may.

Thanks for brining this to my attention. I had no idea that the EOL date
could change once the final release was made.

Now you're just being facetious. ;-)

No actually the first time I paid /any/ attention to what openSUSE
does with their lifetime/expiry dates was when I wrote that email that
had the lifetime wiki page linked to it.
Up until now I've just adopted the policy I shouldn't be more than 1
release behind the latest - I just updated to 11.1 now that the 11.2
RC is out.

I can quite believe that a distro reserves the right to 'kill off' a
release if it proves too problematic to maintain - are there any
openSUSE guarantees on this point?

Cheers

Jim

--