Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Code names
  • From: Mark V <mvyver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 08:26:58 +1000
On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 5:06 AM, Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 06 May 2009 19:53:53 +0200, jdd wrote:

Jim Henderson a écrit :

Suppose in 2 years it's decided to go to a 10-month development cycle?
That shifts the end dates for the ones that are already out there.

why? I don't think so. duration is more or less 2 years

If the replacement product isn't ready when the previous one goes EOL,
that creates a gap.

The proposal is to just use the EOL date when the final release is made.
There has been no suggestion to /change/ how release dates are arrived
at, nor how releases are made/scheduled.

If what you suggest is correct - that openSUSE can have a gap where no
release is 'alive' - then that problem exists regardless of the naming
scheme you adopt.

If anything this naming scheme has forced these 'problems' to be
exposed - if they exist at all that is ;)

I think product release/support policies are quite separate from
naming schemes - the proposal is simply to bring some important
information forward instead of it being buried on a 'lifetime' wiki
page that very few look at.

Cheers

Jim

--