Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Code names
  • From: Mark V <mvyver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 08:13:29 +1000
On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 06 May 2009 18:59:56 +0200, Pavol Rusnak wrote:

jdd wrote:
We can use the same sheme than Ubuntu use: starting date, but the idea
to use the *ending* date seems to me new and very interesting.

And when we use the ending date, the next release will be named 11.11,
so we didn't go back from 11.1 to 9.11 (which is unfortunate also) and
keep the increasing tendency:

Problem is that end dates can change as development on the next release
progresses.  Wasn't there recently a shift from a 6 month development
cycle to an 8 month development cycle?

No problem. During development the release name can be used and only
tagged with an EOL date during the release candidate phase (for
example) - assuming you are correct in saying that the EOL date is as
fluid during the dev cycle as you suggest it is.

Suppose in 2 years it's decided to go to a 10-month development cycle?
That shifts the end dates for the ones that are already out there.

What! Now I am worried, is it really the case that the openSUSE
end-of-life date changes once the 'final' is released? This seems
nuts to me so would appreciate some unambiguous clarification.....

It seems to me that it's a better idea to go with something that isn't
able to change rather than something that may.

Thanks for brining this to my attention. I had no idea that the EOL
date could change once the final release was made.

Cheers

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson