Re: [opensuse-project] Code names
  • From: Mark V <mvyver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 10:51:30 +1000
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Rajko M. <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 04 May 2009 07:15:52 pm Mark V wrote:

No one has raised an objection to end-of-life YY-MM naming.
I agree that it is a (very?) different idea.

For instance Amaranth, release Nov 2009, support ends Nov 2011.

Ok so my posts are too obscure :)

openSUSE 11-11

What is 'too long' about that?

If the community wants a name, then adopt the Ubuntu date+name convention:

openSUSE 11-11 (Asparagus)
or
openSUSE Asparagus (11-11)

Unless openSUSE starts adopting end-of-life schedules that leapfrog
each other, which I think Ubuntu does, then the most distant expiry
date is the most recent release, so the release date information is
redundant.

It seems everyone accepts the Major.Minor numbering is misleading,
does this mean it is going to be abandoned? Or will it continue and
just a name be added?

It is a bit too long for the name, but I think it is worth to think how to
make support term more visible, as number of problems can be avoided if users
know from day one how long it will last, instead to leave that hidden in depth
of wiki, and leave newcomers, that are used to other software vendors that
quit support as soon as new release is out, to panic when some package is
dropped out of openSUSE.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/