[opensuse-project] Re: Code names
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 17:26:38 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 05 May 2009 10:33:09 -0500, Alberto Passalacqua wrote:

I disagree. The medium and the tone are as important as the content. We
see that all the time, and given the potentially sensitive topic, who
proposed the discussion made a wrong choice.

Well, you certainly are entitled to that view - I certainly wouldn't
claim that my own way of looking at things is the only way to do so.

But there are situations where public discussion is the best course of
action, and the person who started the discussion made that in their
judgement. Right or wrong in your or my view, that's where the
discussion is now, kinda hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

If you really think something can be harmful for the community, you
directly contact in private the interested people, their name are
public, and you don't open a discussion which might be used against the
community itself.

That's what I meant by "woulda, coulda, shoulda" - instead of talking
about what you or I "woulda" done, what the originator "coulda" or
"shoulda" done in our opinions, the discussion is out there now.

Some describe this entire discussion as a tempest in a teapot (or using
similar metaphors) and to an extent I agree with them. Personally, I
don't care for codenames for projects, but I see why some people feel
there is value in it.

My entire point (and I know there are a few reading this who will say
"finally!") is that if the project team or community wants to do this,
I'm sure not going to stop them (as if I even could), but I will ask that
some consideration be given to the perceptions generated by the selection
of the name in question and look at the names from every reasonable angle
before deciding on the appropriateness of a name, lest the project be
branded with negative publicity from a poor name choice.

For example, "Nova" may be a great choice for a name, but as a brand of
car in Spanish-speaking countries, it's a horrible marketing move (for
those who don't know, in Spanish "no va" literally means "it doesn't
go"). It's a tame example that demonstrates a similar concept.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson