[opensuse-project] Re: Code names
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 14:33:15 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 05 May 2009 08:10:51 -0500, Alberto Passalacqua wrote:

Il giorno mar, 05/05/2009 alle 05.36 +0000, Jim Henderson ha scritto:
But a key part of the process (as I see it) is that community feedback
has to be listened to and those opinions weighed as part of the

Not in all the cases I think. Or you really spend more time to listen
than to manage the community, to think what a few wants, instead than
thinking to the real common goal of the community. That's my point.

Sure, you have to close the comment period at some point - because at
some point you have to make a decision.

Ask, listen for feedback, and then decide based on the feedback plus
the leadership's own opinions.

That's good, but again, for relevant choices!

"Relevant" is very much in the eye of the beholder, though. What you
think is relevant I may not - and vice-versa. It's important to see that
distinction. I think it's a rare person who provides feedback they
personally don't feel is relevant. ;-)

What you said about using strong tones to carry the message, well it is
OK, but not on such a delicate topic I guess. The right way, especially
from a moderator, would have been to contact openSUSE people BEFORE
writing on a public forum. I don't know if this was done or not, but if
not, I think it was a mistake or the intention was not too good ;-)

Woulda, coulda, shoulda - but that's not what happened, so rather than
dissect the delivery method of the message or the strong tone (which I
personally didn't feel was particularly strong, but the discussion did
get rather heated at points), let's focus on the content instead. The
content is the important thing, and IMHO the rest is just a sideshow. :-)

Jim Henderson