Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Code names
Il giorno lun, 04/05/2009 alle 19.44 +0000, Jim Henderson ha scritto:
On Mon, 04 May 2009 13:57:39 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

Are there that many of us actively using computers/linux/opensuse to be
offended by associations with ww2 ???

It's not those who are currently/actively using it (at least not
exclusively) but the audience to whom we wish to appeal to.

That audience is appealed by quality releases. I really doubt they will
think to codenames that much.

I'm not taking sides in the discussion, but if a name was picked that
evoked a significant negative memory/emotion for you, would you be
inclined to speak out against it?

I would rather see the project avoid controversy where it can be avoided
so the project team doesn't have to spend cycles defending the choice of
name for the project (or not responding to it and letting those who are
offended be ignored - which in and of itself also generates negative
publicity).

At this point avoid any kind of codename, because it is really easy to
be against someone sensitivity, even with colours or animals. But maybe
people will be less vocal about those.

Also, talking more in general, and not only on the specific case, which
IMHO is not important at all, maybe one day openSUSE will stop changing
ideas because of a few users comments, and will keep going on following
its way. ;-)

Best,
A.